Searching for Lincoln

Searching for Lincoln is a unique, well-researched, thought-provoking documentary examining the life—and the legacy—of the man considered one of, if not the 'greatest American President' all across the nation’s political spectrum.

Lady Val's Corner

Welcome to Lady Val’s corner. No, this is not that type of corner into which naughty children are banished or into which one may retreat to escape the vicissitudes of life, but that corner identifying which side one takes, as, in the sport of boxing, that corner into which opponents retire between rounds.

“Lady Val’s Corner” is the site from which I enter today’s struggles—that of fact against fiction, of truth against myth, of honesty against agenda and of reality against desire. George Orwell, in his seminal work 1984 had his protagonist Winston Smith employed in a government agency which “rewrites” the past, removing the images, actions and words of those fallen out of favor with the Party so that, for all intents and purposes, they no longer exist—indeed, they have never existed! Winston remakes both the past and the present—and inevitably, the future. Orwell reveals the necessity of not permitting a false version of “history” to remain unchallenged and uncorrected. Indeed, he sums up the importance of the matter in the motto of his tyrannous State:

He who controls the past, controls the future;

He who controls the present—controls the past!

To make sure that his readers understand the nature of the world he was creating—or more precisely, predicting—Orwell defines the magnitude of Winston’s occupation:

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

In other words, it isn’t that history is being changed, but that it is quite literally being destroyed! According to Orwell, “History has stopped.” Everything and anything presented as “history” in this world is nothing but the opinion of the present leaders of the State which may well change tomorrow! It is this alteration of history—something that, technologically, we are close to being able to achieve!—that must be prevented at all costs! This is not a matter of those variations arising out of the “normal” differences of viewpoint and opinion natural to mankind. Such are the result of our human condition and are recognized as such. Indeed, it is universally understood that “winners write history” until sufficient time has passed to permit a more objective view. These dissimilarities of viewpoint are a given, but it is believed that in time, historians and scholars will be able to view more objectively, what “everybody knows.”

However, today it seems that instead of becoming more objective—especially given our current ability to access information unavailable even a decade ago!—we are becoming less so, embracing viewpoints and agendas that demand not truth or fact, but “the appropriate conclusion”—especially when it comes to history. Naturally, such a mindset means that when actual history presents a conclusion deemed inappropriate, it—like Orwell’s persons who have fallen out of favor—must be removed from the historical record! Because such determinations “upset the apple cart” of establishment history, they must be eliminated. This current methodology—aptly defined as “political correctness”—attempts to prevent at all costs the exposition of any “history” not in keeping with the “establishment” narrative, while those who fail to accept that narrative run the risk of being banished into “outer darkness” and considered not only a “revisonist,” but a fool or a liar.

I hope in my “corner” to bring forth many facts and viewpoints—and, yes, the occasional well-considered personal opinion—unwelcome among the Orwellian purveyors of knowledge these days and to foster the desire to seek the facts and, ergo, the truth. Even more important, I wish to inspire people to care about what is true and what is myth! There is an old adage that becomes more and more relevant with the passage of time. It is what may be considered the motto of the intellectual slave:

The question:                        “Which is worse, ignorance or apathy?”

The answer:               “I don’t know—and I don’t care.”

It is my hope that you will join me—and by that I don’t mean always agree with me, but at least open your mind to the possibility of a very “different” version of history that may reduce “what everyone knows” to the nonsense that it often is.

Lady Va‡

© Copyright 2015 Darlin Productions, LLC.